In the meantime, we'll take a look at some of items of interest.
1) For the 8th straight year, the Scottsdale RAIDERS have led all of ARod with the highest payroll. This season deerhunter63 tips the scales at $126 mill.
2) Some extensions of note---some for how much and some for how reasonable:
- Javy Ortiz got a surprisingly large 4 year-$29 million from Wichita.
- Trenton locks up SP Karl Hurst for 6 years and $43.4 million (includes this years arbitration--not sure how that happened---maybe 50 or someone can explain....)
- Cam Weston is signed by the Booya to a 4 yr-$20 million contract.
- The Red Birds got two of their World Series cornerstones to sign on the dotted line. Wil Pote for 5 yrs and $47 million and SP Alex Torres for the super cheap amount of $20.4 million over 3 yrs.
- Ralph "Billy the Kid" Kydd re-signs with the Colonels for a whopping $52.5 million over 5 yrs!!!
- Rich Sobolewski agreed to give Vancouver another 3 years at $21.1 million.
- SPClinton Puffer re-upped with ahsowhat and the Rounders for $34.5 million over 5 yrs.
- Finally, the greatest player in ARod history, the man who the MVP trophy is named after, the legendary Dante Ming is back for two more season with the RAIDERS for just $2.7 million.
3) The biggest story of the pre-season in bigparb's opinion are the huge amounts of money that some franchises have between their set payroll and their actual salaries. Whether they plan to go crazy in FA or transfer money over to their Prospect budgets is yet to been seen. Since most of the teams on this list are in the "build for the future" mode v. the "win now" mode Arod blog predicts most of these teams will be moving cash to Prospects with the potential for some huge bidding wars in IFA. See the franchises that fit this bill below:
|Las Vegas Bishes||$67m||$28m|
|Iowa City Rounders||$75m||$46m|
|Toledo Mud Hens||$75m||$55m|
|Little Rock Minute Men||$77m||$25m|
|Tampa Bay Don Ceasers||$78m||$28m|
|Philadelphia river rats||$85m||$25m|
|New York Yankees||$89m||$25m|
|Seattle Water Wolves||$103m||$75m|